Since I’m turning, an oh so young 38 on Sunday, I figured it was time to do something really fun to celebrate, and somehow, Paleo Rainbow Cake came to mind. Ok, yeah, I’ve had a slight fixation with the beautifully colored cake since I saw one on pinterest. After one glance, the 4-year-old girl inside of me screamed “MOMMY I WANT ONE”. Yeah, just like that, in all caps too.
Now, once you transition to a real food lifestyle, you soon realize that bright colors like that are only the result of some chemical concoction that is pretty, but not the best for your body. I went about creating a dairy-free and nut-free recipe that was made with whole foods like strawberries, blueberries, spinach and spices.
A couple of notes . . .
I pride myself on creating easy, fast recipes that taste good and this one tastes delicious, but not surprisingly, is more work. Again, don’t expect this to be a 30 minute recipe, it’s going to be an hour to get everything together.
I specifically used 6″ baking pans to make this recipe. I personally hate using a ton of eggs in a recipe and if I had made 5 full layer cakes I would have had to use 30 eggs. Yes, 30 eggs. Instead I used 15 eggs and have a much cuter cake. I bought my pans from Michael’s and I only have 2 (I wish I had just run to the store and bought 2 more for this recipe). You will have one extra layer which I just made into cupcakes.
The overall flavor or the cake is vanilla (except for the strawberry and blueberry layers). You could easily add peppermint extract to the green layer, lemon extract to the yellow layer and orange extract to the orange layer. I didn’t do this, as honestly, I didn’t think of it since I was so focused on getting the colors correct!
- Prepare 3 (three) batched of Paleo Yellow Cake. Divide each batch in half (for a total of layers) and mix the following ingredients into each half batch before baking.
- 2 oz Freeze Dried Strawberries , crush into a powder in your food processor
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Nothing - the cake is yellow already
- 1 cup packed fresh baby spinach
- 2 ounce Freeze Dried Blueberries , crush into a powder in your food processor
- Make 4 batches of the icing in this recipe.
- Again, prepare 3 batches of Paleo Yellow cake and split each batch in half for a total of six 6" cakes.
- For the red layer combine half batch of batter with powdered freeze dried strawberries and mix with a spoon until completely blended. Pour into a greased 6" baking pan. Set aside.
- For the orange layer combine half batch of batter with paprika and mix with a spoon until completely blended. Pour into a greased 6" baking pan. Set aside
- For the yellow layer pour the batter into a greased 6" baking pan. Set aside
- For the green layer combine half batch of batter with spinach in your food processor and process for 1 minute until smooth. Pour into a greased 6" baking pan. Set aside
- For the blue layer combine half batch of batter with powdered freeze dried blueberries and mix with a spoon until completely blended. Pour into a greased 6" baking pan. Set aside
- For the extra layer, pour the batter into a greased 6" baking pan. Set aside
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and add the cake and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until a fork comes out clean from the center. Please note green layer will take a little longer due to the moisture from the spinach.
- Let cool completely.
- Make the frosting and and frost between each layer and on the outside surface.