My ma is Filipino so I grew up eating lumpia, fried rice and coconut chicken but dreamed of eating Wonder bread and ho hos. With age comes wisdom, or at least for me, a more refined food palate, so I’ve tried to recreate my ma’s recipe as wonderfully enough it’s a paleo chicken recipe I can enjoy over and over.
Yes, I have her to consult, but she tends to describe measurements as ” a little bit of water” or ” a pinch of this” and since I live 1000 miles away, I can’t go and watch her so I have to improvise. I’m so glad I stuck with it because I’ve been in coconut chicken heaven ever since I nailed the recipe down last week.
- 1 tbsp. of ghee or coconut oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, roughly crushed and skins removed
- 3 tbsp. + 1 tsp. of apple cider vinegar
- 1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken thighs cut into bite sizes pieces
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. course ground Celtic Sea Salt
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 8oz can of coconut milk or coconut cream
- In medium sauce pan over medium/low heat add the ghee and diced chicken thighs.
- Cook for 2 -3 minutes and then add the apple cider vinegar, ¼ cup of water and garlic cloves and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the black pepper and Celtic Sea Salt and cook until the liquid all boils down. This should take roughly 10 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk or cream and simmer for 5 minutes until your liquid thickens slightly and you have a gravy
- Remove from heat and enjoy!
- Please note that if you leave the pan on the heat, the gravy will cook away until you have coconut oil.
© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.