Sugar-Free Me: Week 1

Two years before I got pregnant, I changed my diet and kicked sugar.  It wasn’t easy.  During this time, I  would often enjoy 4 different types of desserts a day minimum.

I was also 50lbs heavier than I am today and having constant night terrors and thoughts of death.  Not necessarily suicidal thoughts but just unwavering anxiety about my mortality.  Anyhow, through the grace of the Universe, I got off grains, started eating fat and living a sugar-free lifestyle.

For the first time in years, I had balanced moods and my skin was amazingly clear.   Then I got pregnant and the sugar beast returned in full force and I still find myself reaching for sugar 8 1/2 months postpartum.   I know that getting to my weight loss goal is only hampered by my sugar addiction so I’m going to kick off April with a sugar-free challenge.

No sugar – i.e honey, maple syrup, dark chocolate, etc.   I will use stevia from time to time but I have yet to find a stevia brand that does not taste nasty.   I will also reduce the amount of fruit I eat and stick to low carb fruits.  I  would be lying if I didn’t admit that  I enjoyed the hell out of a Green & Black 85% dark chocolate bar the day  before I started this sugar-free challenge.   Wish me luck and if you’d like to join in on the fun let me know and we can support each other.

Comments

1. says

Kicking sugar is hard. I have been watching my calories and sugar intake this past month. Trying to eat more healthy and avoiding the sugar, salt, etc.

• says

Yes, the first week is hard. I know I’ll be resorting to my trick of eating something sour to try and help curb my cravings. I do always feel so much better though once I’m off of it.

2. says

I don’t know that I could live w/o any sweets! that’s a tough one – I’d love to lose 10 lbs. I’m so not motivated lately. Good luck!! Keep us posted on your journey.

3. says

oh yikes the sugar beast of all beasts. Sugar is poisen poisen poisen. I have tried kicking this nasty stuff too a few times without great luck. I don’t normally eat a whole ton of it as is anyhow but yes I know what you mean about dreaming and terrors after eating sugary foods. I get them bad too especially if I have had some before sleep.

I am sure you know this but I was quite surprised how many at work did not know that Brown sugar is NOT a better substitue. It is white sugar coloured with Molasses. Trickery at its finest.

Anyhow Best of luck too you.
    You can do it.
    kevin :)

• says

When I kicked sugar the first time, I didn’t realize that it was sugar causing my mental issues. I’m just ready to be back on track mentally. I had a rough pregnancy, then thyroid issues and now, with sleep, I’m starting to feel like the old Kelly.

4. says

wow, i’ve never intentionally cut anything out of my diet. I have stopped drinking pop and I’m passing on ice cream in the evenings…well, altogether really. Good luck with this!!