I recently discovered tapioca flour and while I know it falls into the cheat group, I’m in love with using it for pizza dough and other “bread-like” recipes. The thing I miss most being grain-free is donuts. While trying to create a donut recipe, I stumbled on to another sweet favorite – apple fritters.
Another lovely thing about this paleo dessert is that it is a nut free recipe. I know I’ve done something right when Mr. Bejelly asks me to make something more than three times. We really enjoy the paleo apple fritters with coffee.
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp Rough ground Celtic Sea salt
- 2 medium apples, peeled and shredded
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ honey
- 4 tbsp of milk
- ¼ tsp of cardamom
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- fresh nutmeg, grated, perhaps ⅛ tsp
- coconut oil for frying
- Add the coconut flour, tapioca flour, salt, cardamom, cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg to a mixing bowl.
- Mix in the milk, eggs, honey and butter.
- Now add in the shredded apple and stir thoroughly.
- Grab two spoons and scoop the batter into one spoon and press it with the other spoon to keep it flat. You want flatter fritters so that they cook all the way through.
- Drop the fritter in the hot oil and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Let the fritters rest for one minute and then serve immediately. They are best when hot!
© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.