Paleo Strawberry Cake

STRAWBERRY CAKE RECIPE

Hood strawberries are in season and I’ve bought flats and froze them to last us for the rest of the year.  Mr. Bejelly is a strawberry snob and will only eat them because, hello they’re the best.  With several pounds of strawberries in the  freezer, I was itching to make a strawberry paleo dessert and came up with this strawberry cake recipe.

Ok, this cake is not huge in stature.  Anyone who has baked with coconut flour knows it’s not going to get nice and fluffy like a traditional flour.  In the  future I’ll probably make cupcakes instead but if you want to get a nice tall cake, you’re going to have to quadruple the recipe.  There’s no way that the Mister is going to part with 4lbs of his precious berries for that so you get a cakette instead.

5.0 from 8 reviews

Cake
Frosting
  • 4oz of cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 2 Tablespoons of maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
Tools
  1. Combine the chopped strawberries, honey and Sea Salt in a sauce pan over low heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes. Set aside and let cool. You should have roughly 1½ cups of strawberry sauce when you are done.
  2. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and blend. Then add in the honey, coconut oil,eggs, vanilla and 1 cup of the Strawberry sauce.
  3. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit an 8" cake pan and grease the sides of the pan with coconut oil. Pour the cake batter in the pan and bake at 350 for 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean from the center.
  4. To make the frosting combine the cream cheese, ½ cup of strawberry sauce, maple syrup and lemon juice and whip. Spread a thin layer on the finished cake.
  5. Enjoy!

© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

Grab these delicious, Free Paleo recipes!

Comments

1. Kelsey Deluise says

This looks delicious and so easy! That’s my favorite combination. I can see bringing these to our neighborhood summer parties! Thank you :)

2. says

I don’t eat Paleo Style but I will say this cake looks amazing and I could totally see myself eating it , even the ingredients sound tasty.

3. Eleanor J says

Made this cake yesterday for a potluck, I have to admit I was nervous as I don’t like trying new recipes on people, but it was a success, several people left with the recipe. I do have a question, your frosting looks so smooth, how do you whip it together? Mine was all lumpy with cream cheese, I ended up pushing it through a sieve and it still had some cheese spots through it. I did skip the lemon (personal taste). Thinking next time (because there will be a next time!) I would heat up the cream cheese some before mixing and letting it cool. Anyhow, I’d like to know your secret, this made for a great gluten-free dessert.

• says

I’m so glad you like it :) I can’t wait until fresh strawberries are here in Oregon as I am so ready to make this cake again. Anyhow, I let my cream cheese come up to room temperature until it is super soft. I also have warmed it in a pan so that works great too if you’re pressed for time. Then just use a mixer and it will be super smooth. :)

4. Michelle says

This looks amazing! Will this recipe work for cupcakes too? Going to make a batch for my sons birthday party!

5. Shelly says

This looked so wonderful that I couldn’t wait to make it and with our daughters MANY allergies, if I substitute coconut milk (refrigerated) for the cream cheese we have a winner (and we don’t find many of them). I think that there may be a typo In the directions (#2) it doesn’t say to add the eggs hand vanilla. I am assuming that they are included in the wet ingredients. Thank you, thank you, thank you :)

Trackbacks