Paleo Cornbread

Share on Google+Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on Facebook

PALEO DIET RECIPES

It’s strange to admit when sharing a bread recipe that I don’t miss bread. That’s a serious statement from a gal who would often eat a mini loaf of french bread a day. What I miss is the convenience of bread. I miss the ability to sop up the juices from a meal. Yes, I can still get them with my spoon but it’s different. Anyway, I’ve been trying like mad to come up with a paleo bread recipe that has a nice texture, rise and flavor. I hit two on the money with this recipe – texture and flavor.

I did find that making sure the eggs are at room temperature and mixing this up in the blender really helps to give it volume. One day I hope to share something with a little more poof but for now you get a yummy paleo cornbread recipe using coconut flour. You could use this recipe as the bread for any type of meal but it really reminds me of cornbread. We’ve discovered that this is excellent grilled and if you eat dairy, smothered in butter.

PALEO DIET RECIPES

5.0 from 10 reviews

Paleo Cornbread

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Serves: 10
  1. Take out your 4 eggs and bring to room temperature. I crack mine in the blender and let them sit for 20 minutes or so.
  2. Add the apple cider vinegar, water and ¼ cup of melted coconut oil(not hot so you don’t cook the eggs) blend on low for 30 seconds.
  3. Then add in the coconut flour, garlic power, salt, ground caraway seeds and baking soda and blender for one minute.
  4. Grease your baking tin with the 1 tsp coconut oil. I used two small mini loaves for this recipe.
  5. Pour the batter in your pans and bake at 350 degrees for 40 – 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  6. Optional – if you want to get that nice golden look – 1 minute before you take the bread out of the oven, rub a small tsp of coconut oil on the top and broil on low until you get the color you want.
  7. Enjoy!

Here’s a link to the How To video if you need more help with the recipe.
© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

A Girl Worth saving Pinterest

Comments

1. Laura says

the recipe instructions say to add melted coconut butter, but there is not coconut butter listed in the ingredients. How much?

• AndreaMMD says

I was super excited about this, followed directions to a T, and I didn’t get anything that resembled the picture. Loaf falling apart, an odd purple-ish colour in side….Ideas of what went wrong???

• says

What size pan did you use? Hrmm. .. I’m really wondering what didn’t work. I think what I’ll do is work on a youtube tutorial and I’ll email you when I have it live.

2. Dean says

Any idea how long the bread will last?

I made some muffins using almond flour and they were great, but lasted only about two days before turning into the most vile tasting things I’ve ever eaten.

• Rachel says

I ended up using 1/2 tsp. of baking soda and poured all of the batter into a 8.5″x4.5″ loaf pan. It didn’t rise very much, but the texture is really light and bread-like. I’m not sure I would compare it to cornbread at all, but it’s very tasty! The caraway seeds are a nice touch.

• says

Thanks Rachel! For some reason it reminds me of cornbread but not pumpernickel – which is often what caraway seeds are used in. I’m still searching for a way to get a better rise in coconut flour breads :)

• says

Thanks! One kind reader reported back that it was tasty but didn’t remind her of cornbread so it could just be our taste buds in the Bejelly household.

3. says

As someone who’s also been grain free for awhile, I can totally understand not missing bread, yet, missing bread. I get it and this looks amazing, especially since coconut flour is my go-to! Pinning now!

4. April says

Hi! I just put my bread into the oven- but I have a few questions. I didn’t really get a batter that my Blendtec could puree- it was quite dry because of the coconut flour. It definitely was not a “pourable” batter. Did I do something wrong? Thanks :)

• Kelly Bejelly says

Hope, you could skip it. Off the top of my head I can’t think of a flavor replacement. I’ll email you if I think of one.

• says

Hrmm. because coconut flour is such an absorbent beast this recipe is centered around that fact. You could try another flour – almond or such but you would have to tweak the wet measurements.

5. says

wow, this looks really great!
    i am all about coconut flour right now, i think baking with too much nut based flour has really been inflammatory for me.
    do you think it would hold up as a sandwich? grilled cheese and tomato soup would really hit the spot tomorrow!

• says

It’s a little delicate but with melted cheese you should have no problem with it falling apart. It is SO good grilled. Yum! I’ve been getting back to nut free as nuts, even soaked, tend to mess with me too. I hope you like it!

6. Deidre says

I made this and it was blah! Are you sure that there should be 2 TABLESPOONS of ACV? That is the only think that I think that could have made it so bad. Thanks. Love your other recipes!

7. Mo says

I made this over the weekend and I have a second batch in the oven now! It really doesn’t taste like cornbread to me (I am using coconut vinegar instead of ACV, just because that’s what I have on hand right now, so perhaps that’s why?) but I LOVE the flavor of caraway and I love baking with coconut flour so it’s delicious either way! The only thing I changed this time is adding more caraway and garlic, just ’cause I can. ;) I also used a handmixer instead of blending it just to see how the texture varies.

Anywho, thanks for this; I have a new favorite recipe! :D

8. mom2one01 says

OH! How I miss cornbread…I’m a southern gal! ;) So, any plans now to create a Thanksgiving stuffing using this bread? Plllleeeease!? :) My mother use to make the best cornbread stuffing every Thanksgiving. I may need to revive it using this recipe! Thank you! :)

9. says

I’m very nervous about this recipe, yet I want to try it. I’ve used coconut flour in several recipes lately and they’ve been epic fails. But I’m willing to try again… and I hope I have great results!

Trackbacks

1. […] 6. Paleo Cornbread This is cornbread that doesn’t contain any corn, and is made with coconut flour instead. This makes it a great recipe to employ when you’re in the mood for cornbread and are reminded that corn isn’t allowed on the Paleo diet. It’s perfect combined with any of these Paleo chili recipes. It’s also great with most any meat dish, as well as soups and stews of all types. It’s so important to avoid corn and products made from corn because in most instances it contains GMOs which can really be a problem for the body. That’s what makes the Paleo diet so effective, because it cuts out so many foods that have been ruined by the food industry and brings things back to a simply time, or at least attempts to. […]