German Chocolate Cake Frosting

GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE FROSTING

Happy Birthday Week to Me! I always get the most shocked expression when I tell people I’m making my birthday cake. Seriously who do they think is going to make it? Not Mr. Bejelly and most of my friends think coconut flour is some weird Asian creation.  This year I want dark chocolate.  I want coconut.  I want to cheat and eat a few pecans.  I want frosting.

For the cake, I used my coconut flour brownie recipe and made a few changes.  I added one more egg for a total of 4 eggs.  I switched out the honey and used maple syrup.  I also ditched the chocolate chips and instead grated in one 3.5 oz bar of 85% dark chocolate.  If you want a three layer cake you will have to triple the recipe or do what I did and simply layer three slices.  I do not need a three layer cake hanging around my house.

The frosting is AMAZING! Yeah, I’m putting out there.  It is so simple and tasty that honestly I’m not sure it needs a cake.  It’s like eating coconut candy.

GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE FROSTING

5.0 from 7 reviews
German Chocolate Cake Frosting

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Paleo Dessert
Serves: 6
  1. Put the coconut milk and the maple syrup in a small pot on medium high and simmer until it's reduced by half. This can vary quite a bit. It took me 20 minutes but some readers have shared it takes 1 hour to 2 hours.
  2. Remove from heat and mix in the vanilla, sea salt, and coconut flakes. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes. The coconut flakes will absorb some of the water and thicken it.
  3. Lastly add in the chopped pecans
  4. Enjoy!

© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

Comments

1. Brandi says

Kelly, I made this frosting this past weekend. It was AMAZING!! Thank you soooo much! It did take me longer to reduce the coconut milk. It took about 1hour. This week I came a crossed a recipe for a “paleo” seven layer / magic bar recipe where you basically make your own sweetened condensed but with coconut milk. The method was very similar to your frosting method. This recipe said to expect 2 hours for the coconut milk to reduce to the right consistency. I am guessing the differences may have to due with the climate that your in. Thanks again for the GREAT recipe it was wonderful.

• says

Holy smokes, that is a tad longer to cook but I’m so glad that it came out for you. It seriously is heaven on a spoon in my opinion :) Thanks for the comment Brandi!

2. Marie says

frosting is runny. not sure if I did not cook the coconut milk long enough. added the coconut thinking it would thicken. Should I cook it longe?r

3. Jodie says

I just made the icing and it only took 20 minutes for me as well and I am in AR in very high humidity. I am wondering if it is taking others so long because they are “simmering” it rather than allowing it to boil. Just a thought…

The icing is awesome though!

4. LAra says

Hoping the cakes freeze well? Made them tonight for hubby’s birthday on Friday and don’t plan on frosting until then. The cake smells delicious…can’t wait to taste them!

5. Christine says

I made this (cake and frosting) for my birthday yesterday. It was perfect! I like my “sweets” on the less-sweet side, but ended up adding extra coconut sugar and maple syrup so my family members would enjoy it. The frosting is delectable. I’m so glad it can be done with wholesome ingredients. Everything tastes best refrigerated, in my opinion.

For others’ information, you do need to boil the coconut milk for quite a while. Keep an eye on it, for it needs to be stirred, and it will bubble over if left to itself. You are essentially caramelizing it like sweetened condensed milk. So when it’s done, it should be thick, syrupy, and probably darker in color.

Thanks for sharing this recipe and giving us a wholesome option to a favorite dessert!

6. says

German Chocolate Cake is my favorite – I always make it for my birthday. I make my own cake every year too. :) This year I’m going to have to try your frosting – it sounds amazing!

7. krista says

Hi Kelly,

I just came across your website and was looking for a chocolate cake (going to use your brownie recipe) and found the German Chocolate Cake Frosting. I don’t have coconut milk out of a can but I do make my own coconut milk to drink. Would I be able to just use my homemade coconut milk instead?

Love your website and your incite to everything Paleo. We are just starting our journey with Paleo to heal some stomach issues and food sensitivities.

Thanks,
    Krista

• says

Honestly, I’ve only made it with full fat coconut milk because you need the fat to caramelize to make the frosting. I make my own coconut milk and it doesn’t really have as much fat as you need to make this work properly. I hope you enjoy it hun!

8. Gayle says

I am 1mth new to the Paleo world and I’m a diabetic that loves (needs) the sweets to keep me sane. Lol
    I’ve been doing low carb Paleo (and I still haven’t lost any weight) so I’m wondering what I can use in place of the syrup. I’ve used either Splenda or Stevia, but I think I need to replace the “liquid” part of the syrup to help with the moisture.
    Do you have any suggestion? Maybe adding extra milk?

9. Carolyn says

I loved the frosting the problem I had was with the brownies! I ended out throwing the whole batch out, total waste of time & money. It took about an hour for the milk & syrup to reduce, end result was worth the wait. I personally think the brownie recipe has waaaaay too much liquid & not enough flour, I’ll make the frosting again BUT not the brownies.

10. Carolyn says

Ive used your frosting recipe several times & love it! It did take longer then 20 minutes, both times it took about 45 but sure worth the wait. Great recipe :-)

11. says

Thanks so much for sharing this at Savoring Saturdays last weekend, Kelly! It was our most popular link, and we’ll be featuring it tonight at this weekend’s party! I hope you’ll come back and share with us again!

Trackbacks

1. […] Soak 1/2C cashews overnight. Blend with water and 1t vanilla extract (I used a bullet). Add 1/4C honey and heat on the stove to thicken. Transfer to a container and mix in 1/2C shredded unsweetened coconut flakes and 1/4C chopped pecans. Adapted from: A Girl Worth Saving’s German Chocolate Cake Frosting […]