Paleo Chocolate Cereal

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on Reddit
Get F R E E Kindle Books Here.

PALEO CEREAL

Somehow I found myself wandering through the middle of the grocery store, well, more to the point,  the cereal aisle. I must have looked for nuts or something to end up in the isle but while visiting, a lot of my childhood memories rose up and slapped me in the face. I can not count on my fingers and toes the numbers of boxes of Captain Crunch that tore the living daylights out of the roof of my mouth. Seriously. I don’t know if that’s a rite of passage as a kid or what, but it never stopped me from devouring box after box of it. My absolute favorite cereal as a kid was Cocoa Puffs and my visit down sugary memory lane had me nostalgic for a taste. I decided to try my hand at making a Paleo cereal version.

PALEO CEREAL

Ok, first off, right out of the oven this stuff is crazy good.  Do not eat a huge bowl of it because you will absolutely burst at the seams. It is filling. I’m warning you ok. Second, this will soften up over time. I didn’t store it in an airtight container and that may be why but by day three is was softer -still yummy- but softer.  It was almost the consistency of a graham cracker.  Third, when I make this in the future I will simply make it a flat cereal like Chex.  Why? One – rolling it into small 1/4″  balls takes a lot of time and I am too LAZY to do that.  Also, when rolled flat it was super crispy.  This recipe would also work well as a chocolate graham cracker – just saying.

4.5 from 13 reviews
Paleo Chocolate Cereal

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Serves: 10
  1. First grind the almonds in a food processor or blender until you have a flour.
  2. Add the ground almonds, ghee, sea salt, coconut flour, egg white, honey and cacao power to a bowl and mix with a spoon until you have a dough.
  3. Either:
  4. a) Place the dough onto a piece of parchment paper. Place a second piece of parchment paper over the top and roll it until it is ¼” thick. With a wet knife, score it into 1” squares. Place the parchment paper on a baking sheet when finished.
  5. or
  6. b) Take a small pinch of the dough and roll into a ¼ round ball and set on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  7. Turn on your oven and set to 350 degrees and bake for 15 - 18 minutes for cereal balls or bake for 8 to 12 minutes for flat cereal.
  8. Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan.
  9. Top with your favorite milk and enjoy!
  10. You can store this in an airtight jar for 3 to 4 days (if it lasts that long).

© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

Grab these delicious, free Paleo recipes!

Comments

1. Pam says

Can you tell me how much flour the 1 cup of almonds produced? I was thinking I would just skip right to my bag of almond meal, would this be ok? So so so excited for this recipe lol

2. Zoe says

This recipe looks super yummy! Could I just use already ground almonds? How much of those do you think I should use?

Thanks!

3. Kel says

I laughed out loud at the roof of the mouth comment. Too true!

I just might have to try this for those times I am craving cereal!

4. says

Wow! Even though I really do not like paleo-versions of “bad food,” I really lack creativity in breakfast meals. Kinda tired of eggs every day and very lazy to do something more complicated. I am gonna try these and I am sure my boyfriend will LOVE it :)) Thanks for sharing! :))

5. says

I had seen this recipe earlier and so far this is the best recipe for grain free cereal I have seen so far. This is like the best discovery of the week for me. Thank you for this recipe. I am definitely going to try this recipe during the weekend. And I bet this would be delicious with a dash of cinnamon on top just saying.

6. Aimee says

My daughter and I made this today and it was fun and yummy! We also think we might just make small cookies next time and dip them in our milk. It’s not cereal then, but lol, we’re lazy :P

7. Samantha says

I made this last night! It tastes really great, but mine were kind of soft on the inside. Is there anything I can do about that? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for the great recipe!

• says

Hi Samantha, If you make it thicker than 1/2″ it will be more doughy than crispy. Keep the crust about 1/4 thick and you will have a crispy crust. I’ll update the recipe.

8. Denise says

Kelly I see your recipe calls for baking the cereal, how do you think it would work if they were dehydrated? It makes it more of a raw cereal that way. Once I started doing the Paleo-ish diet (I still have the butter and cheese in my diet) the one thing I really miss is cereal & milk, I worked out the milk (making almond milk) but the cereal is still a work in progress so I’m glad I found your recipe. I have all the ingredients to make it just need to start it, please let me know what you think about the baking alternative…..thanks

9. Ashley says

Hi! I’m going to try this recipe this weekend (started a paleo challenge abt 4 weeks ago and seriously miss cereal….which is odd b/c I never really eat it anyway). Did you use unsweetened cocoa? I have some in the pantry and have been using the unsweetened variety for paleo recipes.

Thanks!

10. sheena says

I was wonderinf if it would be alright to leave out the coconut flour, maybe a little extra almond flour? Thanks!

11. says

This looks awesome! Found you through a friend’s share on FB. Hope you’re having a nice week. I’ve posted the new Homemaking Party for the week and would love to have you link up, if you’d like!

Blessings,
    Mrs. Sarah Coller

12. Priscilla says

I am planning to create a food blog and post your recipe. I would love to site you and show my followers how amazing you are! Is that possible?

• says

Hun, I would be happy to talk to you about sharing my recipes if you email me. I do ask that you only share my photo and link to the name of the recipe and not post my recipe on your site.

13. Meghen says

Would any other sweetener work? Don’t do honey, agave, or maple syrup. How do you think liquid or powdered stevia would affect consistency of the final product? Thanks!

• says

I have never baked with stevia so I can’t tell you exactly how to go about this. I would add the sweeter of choice – taste. Then add the egg and then add water til you get a cookie dough consistency.

14. says

Great idea! We’ll definitely try this as occasionally it’d be nice to have cereal for brekkie instead of eggs, meat, veg etc.

We’ve shared it on our Sunshine Coast Paleo/Primal.Real Food Meetup Group facebook page for our followers to see as well :)

Thanks for this great post!

15. JJ says

Made this for the first time today. I made flat pieces and balls. We like the flat pieces better. We will not eat this as a cereal, but it is a good snack. Also, you definitely need the parchment paper the ones on the outside burned.

16. Kendra says

So I made this these morning, and I think it needs some tweaks. I did half balls and half “chex” squares. I used 1cup of almond flour rather than whole almonds. The squares burnt at about 13mins. So less time on those next time. The cereal itself was soooo bitter. I’m going to use less coco powder time and add a little vanilla extract. Thanks for the starting point!

17. Samantha says

We made these this past weekend and they were a hit. They were not super sweet but we like that, I’ve been weening my kids off the sugary cereals so this was perfect. It’s a lot of work but a treat. Thank you so much.

18. colleen j says

made these but BEWARE cooking for even 15 minutes burnt these to a crisp. Bummer such a waste of ingrediants. Made a second batch with dough I had left and cooked for 10 min and bottoms were still burnt. kiddo ate it up anyway tho so progress

19. Allie says

Made this cereal today, it came out much better than other chocolate paleo cereals I have made, yum yum yum! I had fun cutting the squares all up and attempting to spread the sticky sticky batter
    !