Paleo Garlic Bread

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on Reddit

paleo garlic bread

This week blew by so fast.  We accepted an offer on our house and went into full house hunting mode.  This is in addition to all of us fighting off a cold and then me hurting my foot.  Gah.  I woke up Saturday and realized I hadn’t even thought of what to make for my recipe on Monday.

At first I was thinking calzone but then I was pinched for time since we decided to make an offer on a house and I thought. Ok, garlic bread time.

Now, I have shown this recipe in a loaf format but I’m going to recommend that you make rolls.  Seriously, if you make it in to a loaf the center will be very soft and squishy and it will take FOREVER to bake.   I put this in the oven for over 1 hour  and 30 minutes and it still needed more time.  This is the first time I tried it  as a  loaf and it just did not work.

So, make rolls and roll them into 1″ balls.  You will get rolls that are slightly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.  The neat thing about this dough is that you can actually knead it.

paleo garlic bread

I have had numerous people try this recipe and it has been hit or miss.  Some people can make this recipe as is and it comes out perfectly.  Some need to add more tapioca flour to get it work.  Some need to use a food processor or kitchen stand mixer to get the dough to come out.

There are a lot of factors that go into baking:  1) your oven 2) your altitude and humidity  and possibly even the flour you are using.  I only use Bob’s Red Mill Tapioca Flour  in all of my baking.    I would consider this recipe to be an advanced cooking level recipe and you will have to watch the video to make sure your dough looks similar to what I have shown.  I know this is my pretzel recipe but it’s the recipe is very similar.  I will have up a video tutorial for this done by February 2014.

4.7 from 15 reviews
Paleo Garlic Bread

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Paleo bread
Serves: 12
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a small pan combine the olive oil, water and sea salt and bring to a boil.
  3. Remove from heat and add in the garlic and then the tapioca flour.
  4. Mix thoroughly and let rest for 5 minutes.
  5. Add in the in Italian seasoning and egg.
  6. Mix in the coconut flour and then knead the dough for 1 minute.
  7. Pinch a 1" piece of dough and roll it into a ball.
  8. Place the roll on a greased baking sheet. Repeat.
  9. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes

paleo garlic bread© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

Grab these delicious, free Paleo recipes!

Comments

1. says

Yay!! I’m so excited that you’re house has sold!!

The bread looks awesome :) You’ve just given me a great idea to make a yummy Italian stew for dinner this week, with some of your bread on the side! I’ll let you know how it goes :)

Happy house hunting!!

2. Kathy says

I am so excited to try these! I love garlic bread, but my kiddos not so much. Have you ever tried these without the garlic and italian seasoning?

3. says

I have a true bread addiction when it comes to french loaves, hoagie rolls, etc. This looks like a healthier alternative while still satisfying my cravings.

4. Grahamkn says

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!

Just made these and they are amazing!! Was a little unsure at first when I added the tapioca flour to the oil / water / salt but I persevered and I’m so glad I did!!

Off to amazon now to look at your book :o)

thanks again!!

5. Lora says

Would this recipe work for bagels? I have a donut pan…so was thinking bagels instead of roll. Thanks for this recipe!

• Sheri says

Are these supposed to be gooey on the inside? I made into 1-2″ balls and they are very crunchy on the outside, but gooey (seems almost not cooked all the way) on the inside. The 2nd time I’ve made them and they turn out the same way. Love the taste, just can’t get past “gooey” bread. Any ideas?

6. Julie says

Loved this. I made it with a chia egg and it still worked well, but I did have to stll bake them for close to an hour (I am not sure they ever really get totally cooked. My toddler who is on a crazy allergen diet really enjoyed the texture. I might try making it into a pizza crust which I think would help with bake time.

7. Hillary says

Looks amazeballs! Mmmmmmmmmmm. . . . . . . . . . I know it will go over really well with my bread-loving crew here! Any way I can substitute arrowroot flour for the tapioca? I am not too familiar with tapioca, and have arrowroot in the house right now. Thanks! :)

8. Heather s says

Hi! Love this recipe! I can’t use nuts, I was wondering what you thought for a substitution on the coconut flour! Thank you!!

9. Jill says

Ok so I just made these… I LOVE THEM! I made them as the little rolls. But they browned really quickly on the outside and were still gooey on the inside. My husband doesn’t like the texture of gooey anything. So should I be cooking them at a different heat for the 1″ rolls in order to get a different texture? Or is it in how I mix them?

10. nora says

WOW!! I just made these to go with our paleo Chili, and they were quite the hit! By far the best tasting paleo bread I’ve ever had! Now my next recipe will be your cinnamon rolls, so excited!

11. annie says

Hint: They say that asian grocery stores carry tapioca flour dirt cheap. Many also carry rice flour noodles and a tapioca starch sandwich wrap. I have both the noodles and the sandwich wrap (you soak it in warm water for 10 seconds before wrapping your sandwich) I haven’t looked for the starch yet.

12. says

This looks amazing! Any idea how many carbs might be in a roll with this recipe? I am Hypoglycemic as well as Hypothyroid and really have to watch my carbs. I have many food allergies and I am off grains due to inflammation. I really do miss bread. I think this is going to be awesome!

13. Tammy says

I just made these and the dough was not like dough at all. It was runny. I was able to spoon some on to a baking sheet. They look ok and taste really good, but what went wrong?
    Thanks,
    Tammy

14. Dani says

if someone is looking to make these, they should know not to stop after adding the tapioca flour, because I almost did. After adding the tapioca, the mixture literally looks like oily putty.. but I continued and I’m glad I did. Mine were a little bit gooey on the inside as well after they were done. Still tasted yummy though.. great flavor

15. says

seriously the BEST paleo bread I have made. We loved it!! I am constantly trying new paleo recipes and this one didn’t disappoint (like so many of them do). Can’t wait yo make it again and again! Thank you!!

16. Kristi says

Absolutely delish! This is honestly my new favorite bread for EVERYTHING! Love it with spaghetti squash and meat sauce!

17. Laura says

Hi! So my garlic “rolls” have been baking for almost 30 minutes and have not grown at all – still the size of the 1 inch balls! more like garlic “cookies”, not rolls – I followed directions exactly – did everyone elses’ rolls grow/expand in the oven?

• says

Sometimes mine don’t grow very much either. You might have had a touch too much flour in them – measuring tapioca flour is a nightmare for me since it flies all over the place. Just pull one out and make sure it’s not gooey in the center.

18. Tressa says

Just made these rolls to go with a potato soup and they are delish!!! Love the italian seasoning dash of flavor. I substituted Arrowroot Flour (Bob’s Red Mill), as I didn’t have Tapioca Flour. Thanks for the great recipe!

• Daniela says

Hi Doni, tapiocaflour is sold in toko’s in Holland and Belgium. Its somewhere next to ricenoodles and riceflour usually. And its, as opposed to arrowroot here, really cheap! Changed my life , really, when I figured that out (I’m Dutch, but living in Antwerp) – all of a sudden there’s bread, and pizza, and flatbread, and tortilla’s you can easily make within reach!HOpe you’ll find it soon!

19. Heather says

Any advice out there about step five?? I ended up with the tapioca separating so I ended up with a white chunk in a pool of oil. The only want I could get it to take the egg and coconut flour was to use a hand mixer…..but then the WHOLE mixture was in my beaters and oil was all over my kitchen. After picking all the dough out of my beaters I had something that formed balls. Never got to put in the Italian seasoning or the garlic :-( everything solidified so fast.

20. Gary says

This was an absolute disaster…… No rising at all. Olive oil did not blend with water and tapioca flour.. All I got was little rubber balls in the oven. Where is the yeast component to allow the bread to rise???? BEWARE!!!!

21. Dina says

I love the flavour…. But I don’t know what went wrong with the texture…. I could not possibly pinch the dough and make small balls, it was too liquidy, so I put it in muffin cups and baked it in the muffin tin. I tested it after the recommended time and it wasn’t done on the inside, so I stuck it back in for a total of 1h. It still has gloop on the inside and on the top and bottom of that gloop there are air bubbles. So it’s crust-air-gloop-air-crust. I love the crust. ehehe the olive oil adds a great flavour. I just wish it would bake…. I don’t know how much more flour I was supposed to add for it to be the right consistency. Should I add more tapioca or more coconut? And then even when I do, I just don’t want to have more gloop inside. If I add, I would like it to bake… do you think it would…? -Thank you

• says

I would add more tapioca flour until you have a dough. Start with 2 cups of tapioca vs 1 1/2 and dump it into the boiling water. If it is still too water, keep adding in flour by the tbsp.

22. Elizabeth says

I made this a couple nights ago. I was discouraged after adding the tapioca but am so glad I persevered! I will cut the olive oil next time and I used 1/4 tsp garlic powder instead of fresh and it worked. I made very small rolls and after 30 minutes turned the oven down to 300 to cook for another 40ish minutes a nd were still a little gooey but definitely edible. These were so good and definitely satisfied a desire for bread! Thank you so much for the recipe!!

23. jen says

Loved these! I’m going to try this without the garlic/salt and sub coconut oil with apple/cinnamon/raisins to make apple fritters!

24. Emma says

I see in the directions you say to pinch into 1 inch balls but he photo shows a small loaf. Can you bake as a whole loaf or does it have to be in 1 inch pieces?

25. krista says

I tried making this tonight to go along with supper and once I added the tapioca flour to the pot, once it had boiled, it turned into a yellow gloopy mess. I let the mixture come to a full boil before taking off the burner and adding in the flour. Not sure what happened but it looked like dried up yellow glue. it didn’t look anything like your video dough looked. The olive oil wouldn’t incorporate into it at all. I live in Canada and its cold here right now. Does that make a difference?

• krista says

No, I didn’t try that. I got fed up and threw it all out, LOL!!! When I add the flour it instantly congeals and goes into a yellow goopy ball, there isn’t any working with it at all. You can pick it up with the mixing spoon as one big mess. I’m going to try again and use more tapioca flour.

• Joy says

It looks like that at first but if you keep going, it all works in together. Especially once you add the egg. Grain-free baking sometimes starts out weird but usually if you make it to the end, it comes out well! :)

26. NanCY says

Wondering if you could tell me what difference the altitude we life in might make for this recipe? We are at 3,800 in altitude. It’s not until we lived here I realized all baking has been diff, but don’t know what might need to change on this one & id LOVE to try it out soon!

27. says

I just made these as little rolls and they are amazing! I doubled the amount of garlic though and they turned out great! First coconut flour recipe i have tried that has worked! very impressed! My hubby thinks they are fabulous! I think next time i might use less salt as for me they were a bit too salty but hubby liked that about them lol! great recipe, thanks for posting! :D

28. dianne says

Hello….I tried the garlic bread recipe and once I got everything kneaded together I was relieved I saw “dough”. I cooked them for 40 minutes at 350. The finished product looked great…gooey on the inside….when I tasted them all I could taste was coconut and couldn’t taste the garlic…. Is the coconut flour necessary??? Could I replace it with the tapioca flour? I will try adding more garlic next time.

29. Natalie0920 says

Just tried these and they were delicious! Great texture when they were right out of the oven – crispy on the outside and gooey inside. Small balls are definitely the key. But, I put them in a plastic container and went back later to eat one, and they were soggy. Any storage tips? And can I freeze these?

30. Helene says

I tried this recipe and the outside was absolutely delicious but they were gooey on the inside and if I cooked them for longer, the outside would get overcooked. Any idea what I might have done wrong?

31. jenn says

I made these tonight and they were delicious! Didn’t have Tapioca so I used Arrowroot instead. I Added about a TBS of minced garlic, 1/4 cup of Almond Flour (to cut the taste of the coconut), 2 tsp of Nutritional Yeast (for a cheesy flavor) and 1 tsp of baking powder. I can’t wait to make these again!
    Thanks for the great recipe!

32. YJ says

Kelly, it’s great that you take the time to respond to all these commenters! Anyway, I made these yesterday. I think I faced the same problem as many other people who tried make these rolls. After mixing the tapioca flour to the oil, the dough became really solid and gummy and it became hard to incorporate the coconut flour. (I did watch your pretzel video and it seemed like it was easy.) Couple of questions: 1) Why is it necessary for the oil to be hot? 2) Am thinking of incorporating the coconut flour earlier, with the hope that it will mix with the tapioca better. Would that work? I really want to get these right! Argh!

Once again, thanks for the hard work and inspiring blog. :)

33. says

I am making this for the third time in about a week tonight. It is wonderful! The better olive oil you use, the better it turns out! Also, using a garlic press makes a HUGE difference.

34. BEcky says

Thank you for a wonderful recipe! It is a HUGE hit in our house. Those yummy garlic balls will be a staple for us going forward. Tonight we used the dough to make a pizza crust…oh, wow! Soooo good!

35. Dani says

Do you think this would work better with baking soda or powder? I have gotten the same gooey insides and hard crunchy outsides discussed in other comments. It was like no matter how long they cooked, they refused to bake! Just wondering what your opinion would be? Considering some future experimentation!

• says

Hi Dani, when you make the recipe is the dough soft or? I would think to add more tapioca flour until you have a pliable dough if this is not what you’re finding. I normally use baking powder.

• Dani says

The dough is a really great consistence for kneading, and it cooks so pretty on the outside, it just stays gooey on the inside, like home-made play dough consistency. I haven’t retried the recipe, but I will let you know the results when I do!

36. Nicole says

Do you think this could be made with flax egg? I am trying to find recipes for a teenager that can’t have nuts, diary or eggs and this is the closest bread recipe I have found.

37. Joy says

These are fantastic! Garlic bread was one of my favorite food pre-health problems. It’s so fun to have it back as a treat! I would definitely tell everyone to measure carefully and keep going! The tapioca and olive oil didn’t mix very well for me at first, but I have used tapioca starch before and I knew if I kept going it would get better. It ended up becoming a good knead-able dough. I slightly flattened my dough balls so they would cook through the center. They turned out so good – crispy on the outside, soft in the middle, with a nice balance of flavors! Thank you for creating this recipe!

38. Sherrill says

Hi! Thanks so much for this. The bread is amzing. Love it. Do you think it’s ok to make lot of this so I’ll have it ready when I come home from work? If so, should I freeze it or refrigerate?

39. Whitney says

I loved this the last time I made it! I’m a little short on time, is it OK to make the dough over my lunch break and refridgerate it to bake when I get home? Roughly 5 hours between?

40. says

Made this tonight along with zucchini noodles and bolognese. This recipe was AWESOME! Outside was crunchy and inside was soft, chewy and delicious! Garlic was a great touch!

41. pamela says

I’m going to try making this garlic bread in a bundt cake pan. I have a vintage glass plain bundt cake pan. I was thinking that it might be real nice to slice this way, and it will have NO center to cook, which you say that is a problem in cooking if it is a loaf. I just love experimenting in my laboratory…I mean kitchen. :)

Trackbacks