Paleo Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on Reddit
Get F R E E Kindle Books Here.

paleo cinnamon cereal

Oh mama this is good. It’s light and has an incredible sweet crisp finish that reminds me of exactly of paleo Cinnamon Toast Crunch. It also makes the perfect sweet crackers for snacking – hence why we ate the entire batch in the first day. I knew that I had hit my goal when Mr. Bejelly told me they reminded him of cereal after his first bite.

Now the trick is to roll them fairly thin so they get crunchy – I’d try to stay at 1/4″ thick or less. Any thicker than this and it’s a soft graham cracker type consistency. They will get a little darker brown when baking but the taste only improves.

paleo cinnamon cerealpaleo recipe cookbook

4.9 from 18 reviews
Paleo Cinnamon Square Crunch Cereal

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Paleo Cereal
Serves: 8
  1. In a blender or food processor, add the coconut shreds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds , cinnamon and sea salt. Pulse until you have a flour.
  2. Place the flour in a small mixing bowl and add the maple syrup and egg.
  3. Blend well.
  4. Scoop the mixture onto a piece of parchment paper and cover with another piece of parchment paper.
  5. Roll until you have a rectangle, roughly 8" x 10" and ¼" thick.
  6. Remove the top sheet and pre-cut the dough into ½" x ½" squares.
  7. Place the parchment paper on a baking sheet and cook at 325 for 20 - 25 minutes until dark brown.

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

gluten free cereal paleo cinnamon toast crunch

Grab these delicious, free Paleo recipes!

Comments

1. Lola says

There’s no cinnamon listed in the ingredient list. Is that on purpose?

This looks great though. I used to love CTC.

2. says

these look great Kelly. I need some new grain free breakfast ideas as M’s protocol has changed and we need to drop as much grain as possible for him.

3. says

Chris buys Cinnamon Toast Crunch all the time. He hides it in the back of the pantry, but I find it and break down and eat it. Sigh. This version sounds a lot tastier, though–I much prefer seeds and coconut and maple to white sugar and flour!

4. minna says

Oh mama…you are so right!!! These are addictively good! I made these this morning and I practically ate the whole batch myself! They are super easy to make too! Thanks for a great recipe!

5. says

I’m far from being a natural/paleo type person, but these sound super delicious and I’m going to bookmark this for when I feel adventurous in the kitchen!

6. says

This looks PHENOMENAL!
    This is definitely one of the things I miss about gluten: breakfast cereal!
    I will definitely be trying this in the near future. :)

7. Nessa says

I made this with 3/4 cup of coconut flour instead of grinding my coconut in the food processor. It worked great! My very non-paleo sister was in visiting me, and it was all I could do to get her to stop eating the dough before I had even baked it. Her response was, “It really DOES taste like cinnamon toast crunch.”

I love that these are only mildly sweet and that the cinnamon is the star. Thanks for yet another great recipe. First cinnamon rolls, and now these . . . You are making my husband one happy and more accepting Paleo convert. Haha.

• says

Oh no hun, honestly, I don’t think there is an equivalent substitute. The coconut keeps it very light. Hrmm. .. I just did a quick search on possible substitute and found something about using dried fruit. It would be much sweeter but it sounds like it may work.

8. Jen says

Hi there. Mine turned into a delicious gooey mess that didn’t roll out successfully. I did use flaxseed (ground in place of chia). perhaps i should add more sesame to add some dry texture back in. Any ideas?

• says

You could try adding some coconut flour to thicken it? I haven’t made it with flaxseed but I did just make it with only coconut shreds and sunflower seeds and it came out great.

9. Jen says

I tried again without the chia and found it lovely. What’s the trick for cutting them though? My pieces were all whacky as my knife dragged little bits as I pulled it through. Sorry, rookie here.

10. says

I made these as listed and it was too sticky with the parchment paper on top..so I just spread it on,baked it a bit, then rolled it out to be even and then cut it…then baked the rest of the time..taste is fabulous! I did a cinnamon flax crunch cereal and a chocolate version too on my blog, rantsrevelationsandrecipes.wordpress.com. thanks for this one!

11. Bianca Montes says

GREAT recipe! I didn’t have sunflower seeds so we subbed with hemp seeds. They worked perfectly. My 10 year old said she was sure they would and she was right :). They are pretty mild tasting just like sunflower seeds.

12. Rachel says

I really liked this both as cereal and as a graham cracker like snack. After baking for about 15 minutes, mine was pretty done on the edges, but still soft in the middle. I took it out, turned the oven off, separated the pieces from each other and then put it back in the oven with the door closed to crisp up as the oven cooled down for the next hour or so. That worked perfectly and crisped it up all the pieces really well.

• says

Jaclyn, honestly, I do not think you can replace the coconut shreds and have this come out right. It gives it a crisp, sweet bite similar to Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I’m sorry hun.

13. Catherine says

Just finished my first batch and my boys and I are DEVOURING it! We’re not paleo but I’m constantly on the hunt for healthy alternatives to processed food. My oldest boy is 4 and hasn’t ever had CTC, or anything other than ‘healthy’ processed breakfast cereals when visiting grandma and grandpa, so he thinks these are the real deal and the Best Cereal! Thank you!

14. Stephanie says

Made it. Love it! Made two more batches!!!!! Thank you! I’m having a blast with the recipes from your site.

15. julie says

Very Yummy! My 3 year old loved them too and he’s ridiculously finicky. How do you think it would taste with some coconut sugar on top? Would you recommend baking it with it?

16. Amy says

I made these for my 5 year old son who was placed on an elimination diet as we are trying to nail down his allergies and sensitivities which cause chronic eczema. I had to tweak this a little to match what he’s allowed to have right now. He has a known allergy to egg so I used about 1 heaping Tablespoon of chia seeds in the flour mixture than replaced the egg with ground chia seeds and water. He’s not allowed to have maple syrup right now so I replaced it with the same amount of coconut sugar. The dough was pretty easy to work with and it tasted good and smelled amazing while baking. Finished product turned out well! He likes it and it got nice and crispy. Thank you!

17. Sandra Therrien says

I am so making these tomorrow morning! Can’t wait to wake up and get baking, they sound delicious! Love you Kelly Bejelly!

18. Amanda says

Awesome recipe! Didn’t have sunflower seeds, so I used macadamia nuts, same measurement and I didn’t have chia seeds so I used whole flax seeds I. Same amount. It was an amazing tasting snack/cereal/cracker for my whole family. I will make it again today but will experiment using an icing bag with a very large round tip and just pipe onto the parchment or silpat and dehydrate at a low temp rather than bake. It’ll take longer but I am hoping for a more uniform crunchy cereal type of result. Can’t beat the taste though!!! We make these every week :)

19. Karyn says

I know this is an old post but do you think you could store this long term some way? I would love to make a big batch for my kids for after the baby is born but am wondering if it would hold up in the freezer? Can’t wait to try it this weekend.

20. Linee says

Hi, I used all your ingredients to the same measurements and my “dough” was very runny. Would not be able to cut it. What did I do wrong? How long do you pulse your ingredients for?

21. amber says

You LITERALLY saved my life. This year I have begun my paleo journey and my mom found this recipe. I was JUST talking about how much I missed cereal!! I am definitely going to try this and let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

22. June says

Kelly, I just made this cereal and it is delicious! The dough was very easy to roll and the taste is unbelievable…so nice to have cereal again!

I used a flax egg in mine and it worked fine, but I did have to cook it longer. After 20 minutes, I flipped it, separated the pieces and cooked an additional 25-30 minutes.

Thank you for this wonderful treat!

June

23. says

This is DELICIOUS! My neighbour just made this for me and I had to get the recipe myself because it is so, so good. It is so great to have something that my tummy can actually digest and it tastes amazing. Thank you!!

24. Janay says

I just made them for the first time and I love them. The real test will be if my husband likes them because he LOVES cereal. As newbies to Paleo eating I am so grateful for the simplicity! Thanks so much!!!

25. Nicole says

These look delicious! My kids are excited to try them. I am allergic to eggs, do you have any suggestions for an egg free version?
    Thanks for your time!

26. Neyri says

I almost felt like this recipe was too good to be true, and after reading all the awesome comments I knew I had to try it. Reiterating what plenty of others have said about the cereal: THANK YOU! It is truly going to satisfy my cereal craving. I will probably always have these in my pantry from now on. Anyone reading these comments, don’t hesitate and make this recipe right now (or some time today).

Trackbacks

1. […] Paleo Cinnamon Square Crunch Cereal Oh yes, you read that right, CEREAL! I love love love cereal but avoid it a lot of the time because it is so full of sugars and other additives, but not this one. This is homemade through and through. I’ll likely be giving this a try very soon! […]