Chocolate Covered Cherries

chocolate covered cherries paleo vegan

In 7th grade, my then best friend,  bought me a box of chocolate covered cherries for Christmas.  I only had to shake the box to know what treat she had wrapped in the Christmas tree lined paper.  I ripped it open, which made her mad since I was supposed to wait for the 25th, and gulped down three in a row.   As soon as I got home, my father confiscated my chocolate covered cherries and that was the end of that gift.

paleo chocolate covered cherries vegan

When I started working on this recipe, I did not want to replicate the syrup in the store-bought ones that I used to love.  First, that is a ton of sugar that no one needs to eat.  I ended up with a delicious creamy consistency that just rocked my socks off.    You can make this recipe vegan by switching out the chocolate chips. However, I made this using the Ghirardelli 60% Dark Chocolate Chips and it was a cake walk compared to when I used the Enjoy Life brand.   The Enjoy Life brand just got super sticky and it was tough to coat the cherries. You could try tweaking it with coconut oil to make the process a little easier.

5.0 from 5 reviews
Chocolate Covered Cherries

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Candy
Serves: 14
  1. First, place 14 cherries in the silicone ice cube tray. Set aside.
  2. Next, place 20 cherries, the coconut oil, honey, sea salt, vanilla and honey in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil.
  3. Mash the cherries with a potato masher to help break them up.
  4. Cook for 3 minutes and then add in the tapioca four. Cook for one minute. Break out your stick blender or pour the mixture unto your blender and pulse to for 1 minute or until the filling is completely smooth and blended.
  5. Pour the filling over the cherries in the ice cube tray.
  6. Place in your freezer for 8 hours.
  7. Remove the frozen cherry filling from the tray and set back in the freezer until you are ready to coat them.
  8. In a saucepan melt 1 cup of the dark chocolate chips. Remove from the heat and then drop the cherry bites in, one at a time, and coat with the chocolate on all sides. TIP: The chocolate will start to firm up after a few cherries have been coated. Set the pan back on the stove top and add more chocolate chips until it is a smooth, liquidy consistency and then let cool for 30 seconds before you continue the process. You will go through the whole bag of chips.
  9. Set on a piece of parchment paper and when complete, move them to the fridge.
  10. Enjoy!

chocolate covered cherries paleo vegan

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website

Grab these delicious, Free Paleo recipes!

Comments

1. mom2one01 says

You and I must have had similar childhoods! :) My mom would make chocolate covered cherries for my dad every Christmas! Can’t wait to try these! :D

2. says

My mom loves Chocolate Covered Cherries but doesn’t eat them anymore because they’re so unhealthy. I’m going to make these to surprise her over the holidays. Thanks for the recipe!

3. says

You could start a wonderful business with these. They look gorgeous and i bet they taste great. I love the way you swirled the chocolate on top. I always hated those sugary cherries; these, however, look perfect.

4. says

My dad loved chocolate covered cherries and I bought him a huge box of them every year for Christmas. I never really liked them but I like what your recipe looks like. The consistency of the cherries in your recipe is far more appealing than anything I’ve seen. This will probably make it to my cookie exchange this year! Thanks!

• says

Hi Shannon, hun, I never stated the recipe is GAPS legal. You can however, melt down some 100% Chocolate with honey and coconut oil to make a chocolate coating for the outside.

5. Ed Armour says

Would love to see more about this recipe since I love dark cherries and chocolate, but on my iPad your Motrin pop-up ads are impossible to dismiss and constantly block my view. Please don’t consider this a rant, rather an observation that would help your readers. Considering how many millions of people are on a tablet device, you may want to consider alternatives to your advertising method/software architecture. I found it impossible to enjoy and browse. I’m guessing I’m not alone. Thanks for your work .

6. lisa says

wow.. I want some now !
    could u put the cherries into the blender for a couple quick bursts to help w/the mashing ?
    Also.. using a double boiler would help keep the choc liquid until all cherries are coated.

thanks so much ..

7. says

Looks fab! I really want to try these out with all the frozen fruit I have at the moment! Just out of curiousity, what does the tapicoa starch do to the mixture? I’ve never seen it in a similar chocolate recipe before. Thanks! :)

• says

It makes them creamy. I made these several times when I creating the recipe and without something to hold it together like tapioca or gelatin, it just kinda burst all over the place :)

8. Kelly K says

A question about the cube tray… does it have to be silicone? I have traditional plastic, “cocktail” size trays I was planning to try, will I have problems? Is it worth it to track down the silicone trays? And where do I find the tapioca flour? Thanks! I can’t wait to add these to my Christmas gifts this year :)

• says

I’ve actally never made it in a normal ice cube tray because I have an ice maker, lol. I would think you could just pop them out easily. I usually buy Tapioca flour in the gluten-free section of my grocery store. You can also try an asian grocery store or Amazon. I hope you like them!

9. Sarah lattimore says

I wanted to order some chocolate covered cherries from a chocolate company I like, but they’re only available in stores and won’t ship that particular candy. I’m really looking forward to trying out this recipe so I can have my cherries!

Trackbacks

1. […] This recipe is from A Girl Worth Saving. I absolutely love Kelly: her blog, her recipes, her photos. They are amazing! If you haven’t been to her website, go ahead and mark it as one of you favorites! You won’t be sorry. Now, onto her recipe. This recipe is for a healthy chocolate covered cherry. I bet we all remember the ones you used to buy in the store full of the sugary syrup. Kelly let that be her guide in creating this beautiful dessert. This says Valentines day to me! (Recipe Here) […]