Pumpkin Spice Thumbprint Cookies

pumpkin spice thumbprint cookies

The 21 Day Sugar Detox has been an adventure to say the least.  Lately, I’ve been grumpy.  Like grumpy enough to rival Oscar the grouch and the Grinch, pre-Christmas Spirit.  I’ve started taking extra Natural Calm so I can be civil.

However, I can see the plus sides of the diet already: I’ve lost some inches without working out and my skin issues are clearing up. I’m also realizing how much cheating I was doing – every dang day.  I’m not saying that come November 22nd at 12:01 a.m. that I’m going to wake up and eat a candy bar but I do miss the convenience of eating some of my favorite 85% dark chocolate when I feel like it.

pumpkin spice thumbprint cookies 21dsd

I’m going to say that doing this diet is harder for someone who is a food blogger! Seriously, if you don’t know me by now, you know that I share a lot of sweets.  It’s been fun though seeing what I desserts I can create that are 21 Day Sugar detox compliant and vegan.    This recipe turned out excellent and I love the sharp bite of apple in the frosting paired with the pumpkin spice.   These cookies are super filling so be warned.

5.0 from 3 reviews
Pumpkin Spice Thumbprint Cookies

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: 21 Day Sugar Detox Cookies
Serves: 12
Cookie
Frosting
  • ¼ cup of coconut butter , melted
  • ½ of one green apple, peeled and finely shredded
  1. For the cookies, place all the ingredient in your food processor and mix until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
  2. Roll into a walnut size ball and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly press a thump into the center of each cookie.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
  4. To make the frosting, combine the apple shreds and the coconut butter. Scoop a small amount into the center of each cookie.
  5. Enjoy!

aipresources

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

Grab these delicious, Free Paleo recipes!

Comments

1. deb says

holy cow! dessert on the detox? yum! this looks really good! congrats on sticking to the 21 day sugar detox! I’m on D15 /L3 & seeing great results too! I was eating way too many Paleo treats! trying this recipe this weekend!

2. says

I couldn’t imagine myself on a 21-day sugar detox. I am sure it would be very beneficial for me though. These pumpkin spice cookies look good — nice to see you can still enjoy a treat even without sugar.

3. says

These look wonderful, but my guys aren’t coconut fans. I can sneak it in only if it doesn’t have that “coconutty feel”. How’s the texture? I may just have to make these, and not share…

4. says

These look tasty and great for the holidays. I’m so impressed that you are still on this detox. I remember trying to go no sugar when I lived in L.A. but didn’t stay with it for too long, probably not enough to really notice the beneficial results.

• Peggy Holloway says

Can you share the version without the banana? Fruit actually contains a great deal of sugar, so this recipe can’t be considered sugar-free. I don’t do much baking but like to make something for the holidays and my entire family is grain and sugar-free. I avoid most sweeteners but I t think without the banana I could make this work since the pumpkin and spices might be sweet enough.

• says

Peggy, I’ve never made it without the banana. You can try it without and it should stay together well but it, obviously, will be slightly different. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

5. says

I’m an absolute sucker for thumbprint cookies and these are totally calling my name. I stalked your site a bit this weekend in an attempt to get myself a bit more aligned with paleo as I’ve slipped away from it a liiiiitle too much recently and my body isn’t happy about it. These will be one of the first things I make b/c without some sort of “treat” on hand, I go nuts. :)

• says

I am so right there with you on needing a treat. Heck I’m on a detox and making desserts! The detox has been awesome in that I realize how much I’ve been cheating and it’s helped me put a stop to that nonsense. I hope you like them!

6. says

You have saved my sugar cravings during my detox. SO THANK YOu! Can’t wait to make these and bring them to the finally thanksgiving so I do not cheat!

7. says

These look delicious! My roommate just made thumbprint cookies but I will bet they were nowhere near as healthy as these…thanks for posting! I stumbled upon this recipe through a linkup :)

Gabi

8. says

Am so scared to try coconut butter… If it’s anything at all like canned coconut milk, I’m out, lol. But I do need something to help me w cravings. I’m on day 2…..

• says

Hrm.. I don’t like the taste of full fat coconut milk, which is why i still drink raw milk and raw heavy whipping cream. I can’t really taste it because the apple really overpowers it. I hope you like it hun.

9. Elizabeth says

just made these, so excited about them, but they definitely weren’t running into a ball consistency. I thought ably adding more coconut flour but since I am new to it I dint want to ruin them. I dished them out like drop cookies but they are not f irming up, can’t figure out where I went wr ong, any suggestions? Thanks!

Trackbacks