My dearest friend Liz moved to England this summer . . . permanently. I had always imagined that when her husband finished his post doctorate they would move back to Portland and our kiddos would grow up to be best friends. The fact that our sons are only two months apart made it seem even more likely that we’d be watching our sons grow like weeds together. Then England happened. I thank goodness for Skype because it seems like almost all of my close friends and family live hundreds miles away from me.
Anyhow, during our last chat, she mentioned she was making Colcannon. Cole what? was my reply and after describing what sounded like a carb fest of deliciousness, I had to make a Paleo version. Considered St. Patrick’s day is upon the horizon, it seemed like a good time to work on an easy recipe.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, mashed
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 leeks (white part only), sliced
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced
- ½ of a head of cabbage, sliced into 3" strips
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup bacon fat, coconut oil or butter
- 1 cup fresh parsley, diced
- First combine your mashed sweet potatoes with the coconut milk and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat combine the coconut oil, diced onion and sliced leeks and saute until the onions are translucent, roughly 8 minutes.
- Add in the diced ham, sliced cabbage and spices.
- Cook for until the cabbage is tender, roughly 10 minutes and then fold in the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley and a tablespoon of bacon fat.
© 2011-2014, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.