I remember the first time I ate Almond Roca. I was a freshman in college and my roommate, Liz had bought a big can during one of our daily walks to Walmart. Anyhow, sugar junkie that I am, I soon discovered the nut covered chocolate gems had a hint of caramel that was irresistible. It was so irresistible that I proceeded to eat the entire can and then spent the rest of the night sick as dog.
I never ate it again.
However, I was haunted by the flavor that seduced me into eating a whole can in 2 hours.
When I started creating this Paleo Macadamia Roca, it was with the intention of creating a browned butter chocolate bark. However once all the ingredients were combined and cooled, the first thing out of my husband’s mouth was how much it tasted like roca.
He was spot on and it’s the coconut sugar and browned butter that marry together to recreate this flavor.
A couple of things:
1. This stuff is bitter as heck when it’s hot. You have to chill it in the fridge for at least 4 hours to temper the flavor.
2. Coconut sugar is a bear to dissolve so you must use a blender to get it to mix in with the other ingredients.
- Line a small tin with parchment paper and spread the macadamia nuts evenly over the surface.
- In a saucepan over medium heat place the butter and as it melts keep stiring with a heat proof spatula.
- After 30 seconds the butter will form bubbles and will make sounds similar to your stomach when it's saying "I'm hungry."
- Continue stiring and the butter will start to brown. As soon as it turns a light brown color add in the baking chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted.
- Remove from the stove and pour into your blender with the coconut sugar and pulse until combined, 30 seconds. Taste. It should be somewhat bitter but you should taste the sweetness. You can add more sugar to taste at this point.
- Pour the mixture over the nuts and then place in your fridge to set for 4 hours.
© 2011-2014, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.